Oregano oil is found in flowering tops and leaves of over two dozen fragrant plant species. One of the well known characteristics of the oregano herb is its mild minty flavor. The most popular Origanum species in Northern America is Origanum vulgare also known as European oregano or origanum which belongs to the mint family (Labiatae). The oregano plant leaves are commonly used in pasta salads and pizza toppings. Besides culinary use, the oregano oil has properties that heal as well. This distinct aromatic oregano oil was even used in ancient times. Texts found from ancient times showed that the oregano oil was used as their remedy for seizures and narcotic poisonings. The results were not known though.
Oregano oil has the following perceived benefits:
* Oregano oil has various levels of carvacrol and thymol compounds which inhibit fungi growth, worms and other organisms. It is even proven to be an effective remedy for athlete’s foot, which is a skin condition usually resulting from the Tinea versicolor fungus.
* It has cough-clearing and mild stomach-settling properties because of the thymol and carvacrol. One or two drops of oregano oil in juice or milk can soothe an upset stomach and help with digestion.
* It is used as an antiseptic in hand cleansers and shampoos.
* It is also used as a headache remedy if you rub it in the temples.
* It alleviates toothaches by diluting oregano oil and rubbing it gently into the inflamed gums and ailing tooth.
* It combats Candida overgrowth syndrome. Oregano oil antifungal actions are needed to fight this syndrome which is caused by imbalance of fungi and bacteria levels in the body.
* Recent studies indicate that oregano oil can be an effective treatment against dangerous and drug-resistant bacteria such as staphylococcus bacteria which is responsible for a number of severe infections and is quite resistant to antibiotics.
In treating toothache, dilute oregano oil in small amount of water and dab three or four times or as needed onto the source of discomfort. For Candida overgrowth syndrome, place three drops of oregano oil into empty gelatin capsule or mix the same amount of oil into juice and take this mixture three times a day. It may take several weeks before the anti-fungal properties of oil of oregano can clear up the Candida infection.
If you want to use oregano oil, buy the high-quality products because concentration of the active ingredients in oregano oil can vary among oregano products. Oil from oregano has the capacity to lower absorption of iron from iron supplements. Therefore, it is advisable to take the oregano oil at least two hours before or after taking iron supplements. Oregano oil has mild side effects. But allergic reactions to oregano oil can occur. If allergic reaction symptoms develop such as facial swelling, skin rash, itching, nausea, vomiting and other symptoms occur then stop using oregano oil. If you have iron-deficiency anemia, the oil from oregano taken internally might make your condition worse by inhibiting iron absorption from foods and supplements. It is advisable to see your doctor before taking in oil of oregano.